Boy-o-boy, these kids are troopers!

One hundred and fifty thousand hours on the plane, no real problems, charmed every member of the airline staff that laid eyes on them, and were bright-eyed and bushy-tailed upon arrival at Bandaranaike International Airport, Sri Lanka!

The visa procedure was procedure-free and very confusing. The immigration guy did not smile or, I think, even look at any of us in the face. Customs was literally an open door with a customs agent almost near it but pretty much off in a corner sitting on a chair. Everything we could have hoped for, and free wifi!

With a little bit of furious emailing back and forth, we were told to look out for Nirmal in a white Axio licence plate PO83234 (because he couldn’t park or come into the airport).

This gave us a chance to be solicited by forty-seven thousand taxi, tuk-tuk, and minivan drivers. Good times and then we were off to our Airbnb apartment for the rest of the night (we arrived at 3:30 local time, arrived in the apartment at 4:30 AM) The mighty kids actually put up with a cool shower before passing out.

We all slept until 2 PM and when we woke up, our host’s mother was practically waiting outside with a “welcome juice” which was a fresh juice made from papaya, pineapple and guava, and a tray of watermelon, papaya, and bananas. Talk about welcome! Most of the fruit came from the trees on the property.

We did a little sightseeing 

(so very, very white)

and went out for dinner

(food so very, very mediocre)

and then went back to our apartment. That was when things got jet-laggy.

When we’ve traveled in the past, we’ve always been able to use alcohol and caffeine to kind of bang our biological clocks into rough alignment with local time, but of course that doesn’t work with kids.

We all woke up at exactly midnight. Four hours of sleep and that was it. Like a long afternoon nap, which is what our bodies thought it was. No more sleeping. That was tricky, because the kids wanted to get up, eat breakfast, go outside… in the middle of the night.

It took three days to get the kids sleeping through the night. One week after arrival and Vero and I still wake up at 4 AM every morning.

Next up, first train ride! But first, three or more days of wifi blackout (changing hotels, this one smells funky).


I am a world-travelling, long distance runner previously disguised as a high-voltage engineer and now masquerading as a travel blogger.

4 thoughts to “Arrival!!”

  1. YAY!!!! So happy to see you all made it!! Enjoy!! Awesome pics!!!! Loving your blog…will share this with all the kids very soon during snack time!! oxox Miss you lots Zoe!!!!

Comments are closed.